Friday, July 27, 2012

Fruits Basket

Fruits Basket begins when Tohru Honda, a high school student, stays at a "friends house" so that her grandpa can renovate the house. In reality, her friends house is actually camping out in a tent, because she doesn't want to trouble anyone. She goes on with her normal everyday life when she realized early on the series that she's actually camping in a property belonging to the Sohma family. She meets Shigure, the oldest, at the house and Yuki, around the same age as Tohru, on the way to school. After going to school she goes to work to pay for school. If that wasn't enough for her to handle, when she gets to her tent, the 2 Sohmas finds out she lives in a tent and invite her in the house to visit. While at the house, a landslide happens and completely destroys her tent. At this point she is freaking out because a picture of her mom is in the tent which is very important to her. They invite her to stay the night and eventually invite her to live there for a little while. They are a bit reluctant to invite her because the Sohmas have a family curse. The curse is whenever a certain thing happens (don't want to spoil what that certain thing is) they are transformed into an animal from the Chinese Zodiac. Yuki is the rat, Shigure is the dog, and Kyo (who will live in the house a little bit later in the series) is the rejected animal, the cat. Yuki, being the rat, and Kyo, being the cat, hate each other with a fiery passion. The calamity and romance ensue through out the whole series as they live daily life, with the family curse.

Since the series was once again dubbed by Funimation, there was no problems with that and they did a fantastic job on it.

In this series you really feel for Tohru Honda. If she was real, she is to most caring, kindharted, nice, and thoughtful person on the face of the planet, no, galaxy. She inspires everyone, or me, to become a better person every day. Since she lost her mother, you would expect her to breakdown, but no, she keeps on smiling because her new friends give her the strength to keep on smiling.

This sort of brings me to my next point. I have never, EVER been moved this much from any media at all except for this series. I almost shed a tear or two at some of the back story's and messages. The story was soo well done it really made you feel for her. I remember after watching one episode, it was so moving I couldn't watch anything except for reality tv afterwards. Because I wasn't in the mood for anything afterwards because I felt so much empathy for her.

This series is also very funny. It made me laugh at a certain spots.

The only thing I didn't like was the intro to the prince yuki fan club (yes there's a fan club for yuki) It was absolutely ridiculous, not in a good way. Thank god they decided to speed up that one clip they've used towards the end of the series when they have already played the clip a couple of times earlier in the series.

Overall this series is very VERY good. It made you feel good at the end of every episode. I tend to prefer the episodes that were rich in story over the fan club episodes (ughh). I watched this series because I thought it was a funny name and I would watch it for kicks and giggles, expecting this not to be good. I have to say I am very sorry for thinking this was a bad series and it was a privilege to watch it. This is a series you should absolutely watch, no doubt about it. Just watch out for the last episodes, you might need a Kleenex.

My favorite Google Chrome Theme for this series:

    

No comments:

Post a Comment