Sunday, May 4, 2014

First impressions: Attack On Titan

Last night was finally the night that this show premiered , and not just the show subtitled, but english dubbed on cartoon network. Now this is a show I have received so many "Dude you have to watch it, I mean HAVE TO, or else all life on earth and the galaxy will seize to exist." Even though I've explained to said people that I would rather wait for the dubbed version than the subtitled for personal reasons, I still had the ever living crap bugged out of me to watch this thing. So I wasn't too thrilled to watch this show because so many people just kind of ruined the excitement for me. Anyway, i got to watch the first episode last night and it was completely new to me. let's find out if the hype (and I really mean HYPE) was worth it.

This story starts off with a with these giants called titans existing without any rhyme or reason (just go with it). Their primary food source, apparently, is humans. Because of this there is only a few towns left with huge walls and the people inside these walls trying to live as normal of lives as possible. A select few brave souls can enlist to be a part of the scouts, a group of people keeping the people inside the walls safe by going outside the wall to kill these titans. Thats the basic jist of the plot and it will develop from there.

First off, I was thrilled when I heard that Funimation was doing the dubbing to this, they usually do a fantastic job when it comes to the dubbing of anime, this is no exception. The dialog was pretty accurate to the original (according to my brother), The voice acting was pretty good and in sync, and it was the standard I expect to see from funimation.

I like the art style the series has so far. It is very clean and I kinda like how the dark outlines are pronounced with the characters and buildings. The way they drew the lighting reminded me to how similar it looked to like modern cel shaded, or fps video games, to try and describe it with non-artsy words. I also like how it is not too clean, and there is a bit of dirt and grime to the feel, after all, its war we are talking about here.

I have a few criticisms here. The voice actor of main character, Eren Yaeger, just sounds super annoying to me. if thats what they were trying to go for, good for them, but I don't like it. Another criticism I have is the final scene of the first episode. We all knew what was going to happen, so could you spare us the gore of it. I know it was like that in the manga and it sets the tone for the series, but I found it unnecessary. I guess it was required for them to leave that scene in there just to not piss off the manga fanboys of the series.

Overall, I like the story. It has a very original story and it is told, so far, in a good way. This series is almost like a breath of fresh air when every other series is not trying to innovate the genre. What I do think is, so far, this show has received too much unnecessary hype. It is good so far, but i don't feel the need to shout it from every mountaintop around me, it could also be me still being a little sour from everyone giving me crap about the show

The lesson is to my friends who read this is please don't be one of those people. Telling me once is enough, and respect the choices I make. Doing the crap you guys did just ruins the show for me. I know thats not your intention, but thats what happens if you do that. Just be smart people who make smart choices.


No comments:

Post a Comment